Friday, December 21, 2007

Sarah from Germany...


Here is Sarah's reveiw of the Spice Girls' concert...

December, 20th, 2007 , Cologne Germany

Thursday morning, I wake up in anticipation: today is THE day: The Spice Girls will perform at the Köln Arena! What shall I wear?
Well, I can tell you, I didn’t clarify what outfit to choose, ‘because I was late for work…Sitting at my desk in the Advertising Agency I work at, I was counting the minutes, till I would go to the most exciting event of 2007! Finally, I could leave and prepare for this big party!
I was surprised, but there weren’t as many people in the trains as I would have imagined- didn’t this 1. Million inhabitants city know WHAT they would miss?

Then I burned the corner and saw those long lines with tons of people waiting- you could hear from every where around, that nobody liked what they saw, neither liked what they had to do: Waiting. Well, well, well, as Carrie Underwood once said: “some hearts have the stars on their side”- my friend Valerie and me found an entrance where we could slip into the arena within seconds, First step into heaven!
I was lucky, because the security ignored my well-hidden-but-of-course-getting-discovered-by-the-enemy camera, and my heart made another step forward: Yeah! I can take pictures!
But as we entered the all doors were closed, and we had to wait 30 minutes before they would let us enter the hall.

We had the most amazing seats, we could see EVERYTHING! The stage was right in front of us, and the seats gave a real good space for our feet, which we by the way didn’t need, because we were standing all the time, anyway: I was so lucky….till I noticed, that my camera would not do me the favour to make good pictures, all I got was crap! Excuse my French! Sorry, but you will not receive any nice pics from me, I am dreadfully sorry. All my video tapes are not in a good quality to, so I better not send you any of it.

These girls took their time, it should have started at 8p.m. but we had to wait another 51 minutes till they got on stage. The lack of entertainment before the main act didn’t made the situation nicer, but we didn’t fell asleep, so….

I have to object to all the bad critiques those girls got: It was awesome! They looked really great in golden outfits; they were all in a very good shape. Gosh, how skinny Victoria Beckham was, and Gerry Halliwell didn’t seem to have eaten one bite during the day, but she was fit and dancing all over the stage, like a summer breezeJ
Talking about which: dancing was not a big thing for the girls. They had 10 male dancers jumping around them, but the girls didn’t move really hard, simple steps followed by swinging of the arms and smiling! They were nice to look at though! And against my expectation, Victoria Posh Spice, got the loudest applause when she sang her solo! I guess German Fans love her posh behaviour! Of course Melanie Chisholm was a big success too, she’s famous in Germany, and she even sings a jingle for German television Pro 7 that starts to sound before the commercial break starts! Anyway…

The Spice Girls played all their well known songs, they were supported by a live band and everybody was singing with them and they changed their outfit within seconds, god knows how they managed to do this! Their Outfits were always shining bright and sparkling, short and sexy.

What I didn’t expect, was their solo performances in between. At first a weird scenario showed, when the stage changed into a runway, I guess they were Cavalli Models, because Roberto Cavalli designed all the outfits, but it was not necessary to make a runway for cavalli male fashion while a spice girls concert- not the best product placement, in my opinion, but who cares.

Victoria started her solo with a dramatic black dress and entered also the runway, to house music and disappeared down the stage, and then Melanie Brown had her entrance. She was dressed in a Leo print Overall and was cracking a whip over her head, then she got one man out if the audience to enter the stage too, and made a sexy dance show right in front of him, always around: her whip… Well, not my style, but funny and sexy too. This was the luckiest day of his life I guess.

After Emma Buntons appearance with her 2003 song “Maybe” the Girls performed Holler! From the year 2000, a song which they released only with 4 of them, Gerry Halliwell disappeared from the stage. Maybe she knew what would happen next: They were all dressed in black, Mel C almost looked like a star from the musical Starlight express with her dress and hair, but the weirdest thing was, when the girls took a dancer each and held him by a chain, like a dog! I will not comment that any further, I believe in the Choreographers sense he saw in that!
Then Gerry had her solo show, she was performing “It’ raining man” a cover version of the same song by the weather girls, which was a huge success in Germany a few years ago. She enjoyed her performance; I do only recommend not to wear high heels and then step over the dancers backs, I guess the poor guys had a pain after that!
As I mentioned Mel C is famous in Germany and so it doesn’t surprise that her song “I turn to you” from 1999 made the crowd go wild!

After several dress changes and lots of good songs, with spectacular light shows and videos that were shown on a big screen, the Spice Girls finished the show with “goodbye” , a slow song, and disappeared from the stage. Well, the crowd was not happy at all, so the girls came out again, and performed another 3 songs, the most important one, “wannabe”, which made them the most successful girl pop band of the 90ies! What a great show!

What I really liked was the fact, that they really seemed to like each other, they were cuddling all the time, and they also could speak some few words in German, which I think is really nice of them, and brings their fans even closer! Fans from all over Europe and in all ages, I saw kids, who I believe didn’t live when the Spice Girls were famous, but also elderly people, and everybody was having so much fun. They only performed 1 ½ hours, but it was worth the 77 euros (110 $). Their reunion was the best idea of the year!

Sarah Jamshidi, Cologne, Germany

No comments: